Thursday, April 29, 2010

Review: Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney

Llama Llama Mad at Mama
by Anna Dewdney
Picture Book
published: 2007
5 of 5 stars

About

Little Llama doesn't want to go shopping and he lets everyone know how much he hates it. But Mama Llama has some answers and helps disfuse the Llama Drama.

Reaction

At our house we LOVE this book. I had not read it until my Kyra begged for it from her Kindergarten book club order. It was cheap; I grabbed it. I am sure glad I did.

As a writer, and a poetry and aspiring picture book writer even, I am very particular about rhyming stories. The meter and rhyme has to be good. This little book delivers.

More than that, though, the story is very apt and touching. I know I'm just a sentimental mom, but when Mama Llama tells Little Llama about how she doesn't like shopping either, but at least they are together...I got chills. I also loved the seeing the shopping through Little Llama's point of view. And the glorious tantrum in the store is beautiful and painful and soSOso true to life.

The illustrations are darling. We all love to look at the llamas' funny hoofed feet and big ears. And Little Llama's pouty, angry, sulky faces are priceless. And the book is mercifully short - as a picture book should be. No one gets bored with the pictures before the words are finished.

Since this book's arrival in our home, my 3 year old has even asked many times to go shopping at the Shop-o-rama. (I did take me several minutes to figure out what she had said that first time!)

We highly recommend this book to all those families with more than their share of Llama Drama.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't kept up with the picture book world...but this title reminds me of a book I read as a kid. "Is your momma a llama?" I'm not sure if that's the title or if it was just part of the book. But I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really cute book. My two year old loves Is your Mama a Llama so perhaps this llama book would also go over well with him.

    ReplyDelete