Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Weekly Geeks 2009-10 Bad Movies


Worst movie adaptations: The recent release of Watchmen based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore got me thinking about what I thought were the worst movie adaptations of books. What book or books did a director or directors completely ruin in the adaptation(s) that you wish you could "unsee," and why in your opinion, what made it or them so bad in contrast to the book or books?

I tend to remember the good ones and dismiss the bad, but a few popped into my head. The first was the third installment of the Anne of Green Gables movies. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I didn't need to. It had a bunch of crap about Anne and Gilbert living at Green Gables and Gilbert getting lost at war. It had nothing to do with any of the books. It just stole the characters. Seeing as it didn't follow any book, I don't see how a "movie adaptation" could get worse.

The second bad movie I thought of was The Black Cauldron by Disney. This one did attempt to associate with a book, but it was pathetic. Not only was it very different, but it was way too scary for the intended audience. I don't remember too many details because I saw it a long time ago and immediately banned it from my house. Go read the Prydain Chronicles if you haven't, and stay away from the animated movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment