Friday, January 23, 2009

Review: Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison


Mira, Mirror
by Mette Ivie Harrison
YA, Fairy Tale
320 pages
published: 2006

3 of 5 stars

I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and finally got to the library to get it. The premise for this novel is fascinating and I was excited and intrigued. I figured, with the magic mirror, that it was a take-off of Snow White, but it took me a little while to figure out where the characters in the beginning of the novel fell into the original fairy tale. It was a fun mystery.

I loved the idea and the insight into the wicked witch. I enjoyed the mystery and perilous situations that the peasant girl and the mirror got into. I was pulled into the story and read it straight through. I enjoyed the spunky peasant girl, though she seemed to wither as the story continued, only coming out again at the end. The ending was unexpected, but it made enough sense to me, and I wasn't upset that it was unhappy for some. It was happy enough. And the novel had good messages about love, loyalty, and appearance.

With everything I liked so well, I was surprised to realize that I did not love this book. After reading other reviews (and thinking lots) I have come up with some reasons. I didn't like the dark theory of magic employed in the story. I have read worse, but not in a YA. I really hated the scene where a child was grossly murdered, though I understand the use of it in characterizing the witch. The middle fell flat for me when the story centered on the relationship between the peasant girl and the merchant girl. I guess I just got a little bored with all the love. But the worst fault for me was that I didn't really care about any of the characters. I was interested in their story, but wasn't caring rather it turned out well or not.

Interesting Note: The story seemed to overlap with Beauty and Beast.

Recommended For: older YA, people who enjoy fractured fairy tales (without too weak a stomach)

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I too have mixed feelings about this book, but can't quite figure out why. I'm almost done, now, with The Princess and the Hound and I'm feeling the same about it. I like it, yet I don't love it. But I don't really know why. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete